While I was studying abroad in Spain, I applied for The Mueller Fellowship. It is a scholarship offered to students majoring in the humanities here at Blackburn College, and allows deserving students to travel and further their education. I applied, and was selected, to go to South America to continue learning Spanish and to learn about indigenous art and the influence of European art after the Spanish invaded. One place I was the most excited to visit was La Selva. From the Midwest the rain forest seems like another world. Profesora Ramirez gave me the names of a few rain forest tour companies. Two weeks into my South America journey, I took a 5 hour bus ride from Quito, Ecuador to Tena, Ecuador.
The higher we got in the mountains, the lower the cloud/fog mix.
"Peligro!" Danger!
The bus came dangerously close to careening off the side of the road multiple times. The mixture of stress, claustrophobia, loud movies and people, sketchy food and motion sickness caused me to vomit on the bus. That wasn't the best way to blend in.
After I found my way to the tour office, they bused us to our lodge.
These were the first "exotic" plants I saw.
The path way to the lodge.
There were 4 other people in my group, and I was the only one alone, so I got my own room.
After 2 weeks of living in a hostel, this was a welcome change!
Pineapples growing! I knew they were from trees, but I expected the trees had to be more mature.
Our guide, Joaquin, walked us around the property and told us about different plants.
He showed us what was edible and poisonous.
Joaquin, showing us an edible leaf and stalk. It was delicious, similar to celery.
A termite nest
It was hot!
The locals use this plant as an umbrella.
Vegetation
View through the canopy
Our first clear view of the forest
Interesting twist in nature
Joaquin showed us what boys make for girls they fancy.
I'm not sure if he was implying anything, or he just picked me because I was the youngest girl.
Close up of the hair piece Joaquin made me.
A huge spider!
Sunset on our first nigh
Chicken roosting. Growing up, I had a pet chicken, but it seemed out of place in the jungle.
Sitting in the back of the truck
A typical home in the rain forest. It was very open.
Sitting in the back of the truck
A typical home in the rain forest. It was very open.
I was there during the winter, so the vegetation was lacking. I was excited to see something!
A pet dog
A pet dog
A pet dog
One of the other members of the group insisted I put the flower in my hair.
A pet bird. He was attacked and unable to fly.
A plant locals use to color their hair, skin, etc.
We put it to the test!
Hand print
A little hair dye
Waterfall
Waterfall
A 20 ft climb. It was cold, and difficult. The rocks were slippery and the water was powerful.
Another guide explains how to make nets and bags
The lagoon
The lagoon
The lagoon
The lagoon
Rice, meat, vegetables, and a banana.
It was delicious!
The lagoon
Spider!
Pene del diablo
Vegetation
Butterfly
Termites
Taste testing the termites.
They were lemon flavor
Lunch
Kids decorate their skin with this Fern like plant.
The guide tried to demonstrate on my skin first, and then he realized how fair I really am.
A messy, sweaty day
The words largest ant. If a whole hill attacked you, you would probably die.
I was a rare breed in South America. I could see over a whole crowd of people.
Bats flying out of a cave we were heading into. We had to shimmy up the wall.
The pavilion behind our lodge.
Another chicken
Lounging in the hammock.
Cooking dinner
The Napo River.
The Napo River is a tributary to the Amazon River.
The Napo River.
The Napo River is a tributary to the Amazon River.
The Napo River.
The Napo River is a tributary to the Amazon River.
This was before we saw giant snakes swimming in the water.
The Napo River.
The Napo River is a tributary to the Amazon River.
Learning how to use a conch.
Traditional instruments
Traditional art
Traditional art
Traditional art
Learning like the locals.
A pet parrot
A pet parrot
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
These monkeys weren't required to be in cages, because they weren't technically part of the reserve.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
This is Martin. He had Down Syndrome.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
This is Martin. He had Down Syndrome.
At the nature reserve.
All the animals had been pets, or injured, and were no longer able to live in the wild.
View during lunch
The Napo River
Lunch
Beef, vegetables, rice, and pineapple juice
Mountains
A lucky shot on my last night in La Selva, Tena, Ecuador.
No comments:
Post a Comment